Kansas City MO Employment Discrimination Lawyer

Missouri Sexual Harassment Attorney

Have you been fired based on your race, your religious practices, your disability status or any other discriminatory factor? Have you been sexually harassed by your supervisor or co-workers? Are you wondering whether there is anything you can do to fight back?

Attorney John Christiansen has the legal knowledge and trial experience to stand up for your rights. If you have a valid legal claim for employment discrimination, John can help you pursue compensation for the harm that has been done to you, as well as punitive damages.

Based in Eastern Jackson County, John is a former Missouri assistant attorney general who handled several civil rights cases while serving in that position. Contact John for a free initial consultation with an experienced trial lawyer. You will owe no attorney's fees unless you recover money damages.

Seeking Compensation for Discrimination and Retaliation

Employers in Missouri and Kansas generally have the right, in the absence of union or personal employment contracts, to hire and fire employees for any reason, including reasons that most people would consider unfair.

However, firing someone for belonging to certain types of protected groups is illegal under federal law. You may have a legal claim for employment discrimination if you have been fired or suffered another significant setback at work based on any of the following:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • National origin
  • Gender
  • Disability
  • Age

You may also have the right to sue for employment discrimination if you have been retaliated against for exercising certain legal rights, such as making a workers' compensation claim or taking family or medical leave.

Standing Up Against Workplace Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment in the workplace is considered a type of employment discrimination because it generally targets certain employees at least partially on the basis of their gender.

If you've been fired because you refused a sexual advance; offered a promotion in exchange for accepting sexual conduct; or made to feel so unwelcome in the workplace that you have been forced to leave your job, you may have a legal claim for compensation for sexual harassment.

Contact John to discuss whether you have a claim for sexual harassment or any other form of employment discrimination, and if so, what he can do to help you pursue it.