We're Ready to
Help You File a Claim

Start the process today by contacting us for a free consultation.

Get in Touch

Kansas Workers’ Compensation

Law Office Of John Adams Christiansen, LC March 3, 2022

Like Missouri, the injured worker must report the work accident to the employer and should request medical treatment. This notification should be right away. It is required to be done within 30 days of the date of injury, or 20 calendar days from the date medical treatment is sought, or within 20 days of the injury if the employee no longer works for the employer against whom benefits are being sought. Notice can be given either in writing or verbally, but it is best if it is done in writing. Where notice is done orally, if the employer has designated an individual or department to whom notice must be given and such designation has been communicated in writing to the employee, notice to any other individual or department shall be sufficient. If the employer has not designated anyone, notice must be sent to a supervisor or manager. Where notice is provided in writing, notice must be sent to a supervisor or manager at the employee's principal location of employment. Notice shall include the time, date, place, person injured, and specific aspects of the injury. It must be apparent that the employee is claiming benefits under the workers' compensation law or has suffered a work-related injury. The injured worker will be entitled to the basic workers' compensation benefits. In Kansas, the injured worker may incur up to $500 of medical expenses from services provided by an unauthorized medical provider (one that the injured worker selects on their own). A worker may apply to the Workers' Compensation Director to change the provider that the employer has chosen for authorized treatment. Financial reimbursement to the worker for travel to and from a healthcare provider is payable at a rate set by law for trips that are five miles or more (round trip).